Thursday, October 11, 2007

Control

"Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control."-Tom Landry

"To do the same thing over and over again is not only boredom: it is to be controlled by rather than to control what you do."- Heraclitus

"Today knowledge has power. It controls access to opportunity and advancement."-Peter F. Drucker

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

"When I grip the wheel too tight, I find I lose control."-Steve Rapson

"Give up control even if it means the employees have to make some mistakes."-Frank Flores

"Roll on, deep and dark blue ocean, roll. Ten thousand fleets sweep over thee in vain. Man marks the earth with ruin, but his control stops with the shore."- Lord Byron

"Regardless of how you feel inside, always try to look like a winner. Even if you are behind, a sustained look of control and confidence can give you a mental edge that results in victory."-Arthur Ashe

"The mind never need stop growing. Indeed, one of the few experiences which never pall is the experience of watching one's own mind and how it produces new interests, responds to new stimuli, and develops new thoughts, apparently without effort and almost independently of one's own conscious control."-Gilbert Highet

“Not being able to control events, I control myself; and I adapt myself to them, if they do not adapt themselves to me.”- Michel de Montaigne

“If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins.”-Benjamin Franklin

“Suppose that we are wise enough to learn and know - and yet not wise enough to control our learning and knowledge, so that we use it to destroy ourselves? Even if that is so, knowledge remains better than ignorance.”-Isaac Asimov

“Of all men's miseries the bitterest is this: to know so much and to have control over nothing.”-Herodotus

“Time in the hand is not control of time,
Nor shattered fragments of an instrument
A proof against the wind; the wind will rise,
We can only close the shutters.”- Adrienne Rich, Storm Warnings

“Give me a staff of honor for mine age,
But not a sceptre to control the world.”- William Shakespeare, Titus Andronicus

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.”- Philip K. Dick

“I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration; I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming”-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Photo by Sebastian’s Belle

No comments: