Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Moon

"Image from that Dream I Had about the End of the World" by inkswamp


“I danced in the morning when the world was begun,
And I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun,

And I came down from heaven and I danced on the earth,
At Bethlehem I had my birth.”
- Sydney Carter, Lord of the Dance

"There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery."-
Joseph Conrad

“When we describe the moon as dead, we are describing the deadness in ourselves. When we find space so hideously void, we are describing our own unbearable emptiness.”-
D.H. Lawrence

“It takes the moon for this. The sun’s a wizard
By all I tell; but so’s the moon a witch.”-
Robert Frost, A Hillside Thaw

“The moon is my mother. She is not sweet like Mary.
Her blue garments unloose small bats and owls.”-
Sylvia Plath,The Moon and the Yew Tree

"Gray hairs seem to my fancy like the soft light of the moon, silvering over the evening of life."-
Jean Paul Richter

“She winks a feeble eye,
She smiles into corners.
She smooths the hair of the grass.
The moon has lost her memory.”- T.S. Eliot, Rhapsody on a Windy Night

“When over the houses, a golden illusion
Brings back an earlier season of quiet
And quieting dreams in the sleepers in darkness
The moon is the mother of pathos and pity.”-
Wallace Stevens, Lunar Paraphrase

"Perhaps the crescent moom smiles in doubt at being told that it is a fragment awaiting perfection."-Rabindranath Tagore, Fireflies


“The faery beam upon you,

The stars to glisten on you,
A moon of light
In the noon of night
Till the firedrake hath o’er gone you.”- Ben Jonson

“In the first of the moon,
All’s a scattering,
A shining.”-
Theodore Roethke



No comments: